It’s a new year, and inevitably people will make resolutions that they may, or may not, keep. I’ve never been much for resolutioning, but I do like the thought that we can begin fresh at the start of each new year. The new year also reminds me that I have done many new things this past year. You see, I like to try new things (at least once!) and this openness to new experiences has allowed me to discover and explore some fantastic new things.
Here are some of the new things I did in 2012 (in no particular order):
- Attended a pickling workshop from Happy Girl Kitchen and made two types of cucumber pickles and a jar of dilly beans.
- Started blogging in earnest. Sure, there are a few posts from 2011, but I really committed to sharing recipes and cultural stories this year. Thanks for being part of my journey!
- Learned how to brew kombucha. I’m on my fourth batch, and it has been delicious. I love my scobys!
- Made ghee for the first time. And then cooked with it!
- Pulled out H’s first tooth.
- Became the Treasurer for H’s PTA…even though I avoided math classes as much as possible in college.
- Began buying raw milk for me and my family. It is delicious and has many more health benefits than pasteurized, homogenized factory-farm milk.
- Did the 21-Day Sugar Detox and later became a moderator for the 21DSD Facebook page. Amazing program if you want to get rid of those pesky carb/sugar cravings. Great way to find out if you have food sensitivities, too.
- Started eating shrimp again for the first time since 1994. Here’s the dish that brought me back to my senses.
- Discovered a host of real food blogs and bloggers from whom I have learned a ton. Favorites include Real Food Suomi, Nom Nom Paleo, My Cultured Palate, Food Renegade, PaleOMG, and The Healthy Home Economist.
There are many more new things I tried last year, and I’m guessing that I will try many more this year. Maybe I’ll finally work up the courage to make my own sauerkraut. Or maybe I’ll visit somewhere I’ve never been before. I’ll certainly read new books, meet new people, and try new foods. And the more new things I do, the more I appreciate all the old things I did that made me who I am today. Let’s celebrate the new!
This post is linked to Fight Back Friday.
wow!! I am honored to be on your favorites list! Thank you! <3
:) So glad we “met,” Sita!